Article descibing the evolution of Windows 10, Microsoft's new pricing model and new and noteworthy features of the operating system
Microsoft recently released Windows 10 to very little fanfare. Fortunately, for the 90% of users that use Windows-based computers, Windows 10 is a huge improvement over Windows 8. Almost universally reviled by all Windows users, Windows 8 never exceeded a 5% install base; a testament to its lack of any redeeming qualities.
Following Apple’s lead, Microsoft made the upgrade to Windows 10 free to licensed users of Windows 8 and Windows 7. They will continue this free upgrade model into the future. The only time you will purchase a new operating system is when you buy a computer. After that, upgrades to newly released operating systems will be avaialble as a free download.
Some noteable features:
1. It continues the basic philosophy of Windows 8 which was to have a very similar feel and operation between the Windows Phone OS, Windows tablets and Windows computers/laptops. This is still a little misguided, IMO. Tablets and phones are almost exclusively based on a touch interface. The desktop/laptop is rightly keyboard/mouse based so having a similar interface based on dissimilar input methods is misguided.
2. Cortana is Microsoft's answer to Siri. Because it is the most recent VR system, it seems to be the most powerful.
3. Stream games from Xbox One to any Windows 10 PC. Uhh that's cool.
4. Windows 10 implements DirectX 12 which allows for some of the most detailed graphics ever.
5. Introducing Microsoft Edge, the replacement for Internet Explorer. Still a little dodgy with existing web pages that are not optimized for it, Edge is still a little painful to use. Especially with Chrome readily avaialble for free. Soon, though, Edge will be a performer that will be compatible with new content and features that are yet to be implemented on the Internet. In addition, Edge is much more secure than IE.
6. Metro is gone. OMG this alone is worth the price of admission.
7. Alt-Tab allows you to switch through open apps. This is a great productivity booster for those of us that keep a million windows open and lose track of where they are on our multiple monitors.
This is an incomplete list. Go here for more: